A confident smile and optimal oral health are essential for a fulfilling life. They contribute to your overall well-being and positively impact your daily activities, from spending time with your family to excelling at work. So when you’re dealing with missing teeth, it can feel both exhausting and demoralizing.
At Advanced Dentistry, our prosthodontists are dedicated to providing exceptional dental care to help you find the best treatment option that suits your needs, lifestyle, and preferences.
If you’re currently wearing removable dentures or considering them as a tooth replacement option, talk to us. While dentures are a good solution for some, we want to introduce you to other innovative alternatives that can provide superior comfort, stability, and aesthetics.
Limitations of removable dentures
Traditional removable dentures may have been the go-to solution for missing teeth for many years. They’re widely available, and the process of getting dentures is relatively straightforward.
However, removable dentures aren’t right for everyone. In fact, we work with patients every day who are seeking an alternative, usually as a result of limitations like:
- Inconvenience and discomfort due to the need for removal and overnight soaking
- Slippage and instability while eating or speaking
- Potential impact on speech, leading to difficulties and reduced confidence
- Lack of stimulation to the jawbone, resulting in bone loss and potential changes to facial structure
If you’re experiencing similar frustrations with your dentures, we’re happy to help you explore other treatment options that provide more confidence and comfort.
1. Dental implants: the permanent solution
Dental implants have revolutionized the field of dentistry by offering a permanent and natural-looking solution for missing teeth. Unlike dentures, which need to be removed for cleaning and can sometimes slip or cause discomfort, dental implants are securely anchored into your jawbone, providing stability and functionality similar to natural teeth.
Implants consist of posts placed into the jawbone that act as artificial tooth roots. Dental crowns are then attached to the implants, creating a seamless, permanent solution for missing teeth.
Dental implants offer:
- Stability and Durability: Dental implants provide consistent stability, allowing you to eat, speak, and smile with confidence. They are designed to fuse with the jawbone, creating a solid foundation for replacement teeth that feels and functions like natural teeth.
- Preservation of Jawbone: Dental implants stimulate the jawbone, preventing bone loss and preserving the facial structure. This helps maintain a youthful appearance and prevents the sunken facial appearance often associated with missing teeth.
- Longevity: With proper care and regular dental check-ups, dental implants can last a lifetime, making them a long-term investment in your oral health!
2. All-on-4: full-arch rehabilitation
If you’re missing several teeth or have significant dental issues, the All-on-4 treatment can be an innovative alternative. This treatment involves placing as few as four dental implants strategically in your jawbone to support a full arch of prosthetic teeth.
- Immediate Results: All-on-4 offers immediate results, allowing you to leave the dental office with a fully functional set of teeth in just one visit. This means you don't have to endure the inconvenience of removable dentures during the healing process!
- Enhanced Stability: By utilizing four implants strategically placed in areas with optimal bone density, this treatment provides exceptional stability and support for prosthetic teeth. You’ll be able to eat your favorite foods and engage in regular activities without worrying about denture slippage!
The All-on-4 solution offers stability, function, and aesthetics, allowing you to enjoy food and speak clearly. This option eliminates many of the concerns associated with dentures, such as shifting and the need for adhesives.
3. Fixed dental bridges: close the gap
Fixed dental bridges are an excellent alternative when you’re missing one or a few teeth. Unlike removable dentures, which rely on clasps or adhesives, fixed bridges are permanently cemented onto adjacent teeth or dental implants.
This provides a secure, comfortable solution that blends seamlessly with your natural teeth. With fixed dental bridges, you can restore your smile, maintain proper oral health, and regain the ability to bite and chew with ease.
4. Removable partial dentures: a temporary option
If you’re not a suitable candidate for dental implants or fixed dental bridges due to specific oral health conditions, removable partial dentures can be considered a temporary solution for replacing missing teeth.
Removable partial dentures are designed to replace one or more missing teeth while still allowing you to retain some of your natural teeth. They consist of artificial teeth attached to nearby natural teeth or dental implants.
While dentures can replace missing teeth, we understand they’re not a realistic solution for many patients. We encourage you to explore the alternatives we’ve outlined, as they can offer more stable, long-lasting, and convenient results.
You deserve the most beautiful smile and we’re here to help!
At Advanced Dentistry in Portland, we believe you deserve a smile that looks beautiful and functions naturally. Choosing the right treatment depends on several factors, including the condition of your oral health, the number of missing teeth, and your preferences. We’ll assess your situation, conduct a comprehensive evaluation, and provide personalized recommendations matching your needs and goals.
Through treatments like dental implants, the All-on-4 treatment, and fixed dental bridges, you can enjoy a confident smile, improved oral health, and the ability to eat and speak with ease.
Our skilled team of prosthodontists is here to guide you through the process, answering all your questions. Schedule your appointment today, and let us help you regain your smile and enjoy life to the fullest!